Date:      Sun, 04 Jun 2000 13:16:48 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/sys mbuf.h

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0006041045370.543-100000@green.dyndns.org> Brian Fundakowski Feldman writes:
:    The void * type was created to duplicate what was wanted in a
: generic address type (such as arithmetical semantics), while correctly
: demonstrating that the type contained was an "unknown". The caddr_t type
: should be phased out now since only an infinitesimal amount of compilers
: can't support void *, and the void * type itself gives better type
: checking then the caddr_t type definition.  In all cases, void * is to
: be used instead of caddr_t in new code.

Close.  No ANSI C compiler will not support void *, otherwise it is too
broken to claim to be ANSI C, or c89 as it has come to be known as.

:   How's my interpretation?  Be gentle, because I don't have any actual
: knowledge to go on ;)

I think your interpretation is sound.  However, agressive migration of
caddr_t to void * will take some time, as we're finding out.

Warner