Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:07:10 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, papowell@astart.com
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0006262226580.318-100000@picnic.mat.net>,
Chuck Robey
 writes:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>
> > A suggestion I made, that only Patrick picked up on and which requires
> > repeating, was to create lpr/lpc/lpd applications that were of similar
> > structure to /usr/sbin/sendmail, which performed a table lookup, to
> > find the real application to be used.
> >
> > The advantages would be that both lpr/lpd and LPRng, and by extension
> > sendmail and postfix, could be included in base and administrators
> > could use whichever application they wanted based upon functionality,
> > security, license preference, or any other criteria.  Even if only one
> > print application were in the base, it would make making the other the
> > default much easier.
> >
> > Wouldn't this compromise or a form of this compromise satisfy most
> > everyone?
>
> Nope.  Your suggestion is an adjunct to making software changeable, and
> something like it has already been done for sendmail/postfix, but it
> doesn't answer the question at all, merely makes changing things
> easier.  The question is, I remind you, whether or not to remove lpd and
> replace it with lprng, now HOW to replace it.  We can pretty much figure
> out how.

Calm down.  I was saying that we don't have to replace anything.  Both
can live in FreeBSD side-by-side.  The only downside to this is
additional work required to maintain both and the additional space
required.  Hence the word compromise.

> Go take a look at /etc/mail/mailer.conf, or mailer.conf(5).  Your basic
> idea is just fine (something about imitation being flattery, like that).

That's what I just said.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC