Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 17:04:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two kinds of advisories?

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Matt Heckaman wrote:

> PORTS-SA:00:XX or whatnot. Keep the FreeBSD and Ports announcements
> strictly seperate like that might not be a bad idea.

At the very least, it should be FBSD-PORTS-SA:00:XX, as it is our ports
collection, not someone elses.  And as "ports" and "packages" mean
different things in the context of different operating systems, it would
be equally deceiving to have people believe the problem was not associated
with FreeBSD :-).

Besides which, in the past, at least a few of the security problems in the
ports collection have had to do with the laziness or sloppiness of the
porter: handing out root access to get kvm rights, or handing out kvm
rights to get access to things available via sysctl, or just handing out
setuid because the program required it under Linux, or for a feature that
was only available under Linux anyway.

These are advisories about security problems in software distributed with
FreeBSD.  The nature of the problem is often specific to FreeBSD, as well
as the details of it in practice, the fixes, and the work-arounds.
Sometimes the security problem is *less* serious on our platform than
other platforms.  Especially on a list like bugtraq, which is a full
disclosure list, it is important to provide all of the pertinent details,
and specifically not be ambiguous about whether or not an advisory has to
do with FreeBSD.

If your friends and clients are worried by the number of advisories coming
out of FreeBSD, ask them if they'd feel more comfortable using another
operating system where the bugs are well-known in the security (and
hacker) communities, but aren't documented or fixed by the OS vendor.  In
general, for every ports advisory coming out of FreeBSD, you should
expect to see an advisory from the software author, as well as from most
other BSD and Linux distributions.  When you don't, that is a reason for
concern.  Clearly there are a few exceptions, but it's worth considering,
and explaining to people.

  Robert N M Watson