Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:53:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>, FreeBSD-ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FTP Servers

> : > FUD.
> :
> : Except for the fact that it's a fact, as has recently been shown. :(
>
> Well, that's unfair. That bug hit virtually every ftpd around. I would not
> hold it against proftpd.

It didn't hit FreeBSD's stock ftpd.

> I've been using it for quite awhile and I am very
> happy with their approach to the concept and their implimentation.

I'm using it as well.  But, others who I have great respect that have
reviewed their code are not impressed with it.

> : > proftpd is excellent.
> :
> : If security isn't important.  Currently I know of know full-featured FTP
> : server that has source available and is freeware.
>
> That's not fair. A root exploit that hit virtually every ftpd is not
> grounds to go and say proftpd should only be used "if security isn't
> important"

I still stick with what I said.  And, I still don't know of any
full-featured FTP server that is secure.

> Think about it for a moment, in my eyes, this bug does not
> detract at all from proftpd's solid performance. Nobody is perfect.

The same thing could be said about wu-ftpd, which has logged more miles
than *any* other freeware ftp server.  That it's worked for years
doesn't mean it is seucre.

Nate