Date:      26 Aug 2000 15:28:48 +0200
From:      Slawek Zak <zaks@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Securelevel and rw-remount

Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> writes:

> On 25 Aug 2000, Slawek Zak wrote:
>
> > Could someone tell me why is it possible to remount a read-only
> > mounted filesystem read-write after the securelevel is raised to 3? It
> > seems dangerous.
>
> Same reasonable as it is possible to use unmount and mount after the
> securelevel is raised to 3: someone considered this necessary for
> normal operation.

  Well - I wouldn't call running system with secure level raised to 3
  "normal operation". And yes - umounting fixed device filesystems
  should be disabled (securelevel 4?)

> This seems reasonable, since disks can't be written to at
> securelevel 3, and a secure system shouldn't have any insecure
> devices attached, whether or not they are mounted.

  Well - device mounted ro without the possibilty to write to it
  either thru fs layer or raw device I *would* call secure. You can
  have it using chflags -R schg, but it is very inconvenient when you
  boot to single user and want to change something.

/S
--
"An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less until
 he/she knows absolutely everything about nothing."