Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 13:28:39 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
Cc:        "Chris D . Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftpd bug in FreeBSD through at least 3.4

At 12:51 PM 10/2/2000, Alex Charalabidis wrote:

>Yes it does. It was posted to bugtraq as a proftpd bug on 25 Jul 00 by
>Carlos Eduardo Gorges <carlos@VT.COM.BR>. I confirmed the bug existed on
>our 6.00LS too (and promptly forgot :P). As far as I know, there have been
>no exploits and it's not even a DoS since the parent process is
>unaffected. The default FreeBSD ftp client crashes before the server
>process does, so you can only see the problem with a client on a different
>OS (oddly enough, the MS-DOS 7 client seems to be the only one that
>creates no problems at all).

Interesting. It appears that my earlier tests were not conclusive because
there were problems in both the server AND the client. Thank you for
pointing this out!

Let's try testing the server with the MS-DOS 7 client, so that any problems
with the FreeBSD FTP client are not a factor.

I am now using the MS-DOS 7 client and connecting to a FreeBSD 4.1+ server
(running FreeBSD 4.1-20000916-STABLE). Here's what I see from the client side:

ftp> quote %s%s%s%s%s
500 '+H|X++_YX++|¶QUOTE %s%s%s%s%s(null)%s%s%s%s%s': command not understood.

This means that while the FreeBSD FTP client crashed (and generated the segfault
message), the server did not crash. However, there's still junk in the message
sent back by the server, which indicates that I may be getting at the stack
here.

What's more, when I do a ps -ax on the server, I see (user and host names
changed):

19119  ??  Is     0:00.05 ftpd: host.com: user: \M-8H|\^Cx\M-C\M-8\M-`y\^Cx\M-C\M-8|\^Tquote %s%s%s%s%s(null)%s%s%s%s%s\

Oops! We've got a bit of weirdness on the server side too, though it
did not crash. Can this be exploited?

Now, let's send a command with more %s format directives to the server:

ftp> quote %s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s
(Nothing)

The ftpd process on the server is alive but seems to be hung parsing the command.
So, something is amiss, but to what extent it is exploitable I can't tell.
It DOES happen even in 4.1, though.

Haven't looked into why the FreeBSD clients from FreeBSD 3.4 and prior
crashed. So, I cannot tell as yet whether a hostile server can do nasty things
to them or not.

--Brett

--Brett