Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2000 21:57:40 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iostat: tps for SCSI drives ...

>> Maxtags is the limit imposed by the quirk entry matching the device.
>
>Okay, under what conditions would dev_openings == maxtags?  My best drive
>that I can find on my various machines is a brand new LVD drive:

You will only see this very early in the boot process before a device
indicates that it cannot handle "maxtags" via a queue full or if you
have a device that can really achieve "maxtags".  For instance,
some RAID arrays can perform the full 256 tags that can be outstanding
is SCSI-2, but most drives max out at 64 or 63 tags.  Only recently have
I found some IBM drives that will support 128 tags.  That said, the
system will only allocate resources to support the number of transactions
it is determined a device can use.  The "maxtags" value is just an
upper bound.

--
Justin