Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:33:37 MET
From:      Frank Bonnet <bonnetf@bart.esiee.fr>
To:        blaz@amis.net
Cc:        dg@root.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcp sendspace/recvspace

> >    I've been messing around with the net.inet.tcp.sendspace and
> > net.inet.tcp.recvspace parameters on ftp.freesoftware.com and have found
> > that there is a significant performance improvement when increasing these
> > to 32768 bytes. Apparantly there are enough systems out there with higher
> > window maxes that it really does make a difference. By significant
> > improvement, I mean about a average of a 20% increase in Mbps per user,
> > and this was just the change over a 30 minute period with lots of connections
> > still using the old 16K values.
> >    Any objections to increasing the defaults in FreeBSD to 32K?
>
> I actually wanted to suggest the same some time ago. Some time ago I was
> trying to find out why a certain Linux box can download at much higher speed
> over a satellite link than a FreeBSD box. Well, the default TCP window size in
> Linux is higher. Increasing it on FreeBSD, more than doubled the transfer
> speed.

I've applied THIS modification on our proxy/cache server
running FreeBSD 4.1.1 and Squid, it seems performances are much
better for web access and downloads ( sorry for my bad english ...)

Any help from FreeBSD-Net gurus to "tune" a web proxy-cache machine
would be very much appreciated , any web pointers too.

The machine hasn't any ppp link only LAN access ( ethernet )

Thanks a lot
--
Frank Bonnet
Groupe ESIEE Paris