Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:16:29 -0500
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network monitoring

On November 29, 2000, Joe Oliveiro sent me the following:
> Will ipfw count ips not binded to the box?
>
> > One of the tricks I've used to do this sort of thing in the past is to
> > setup and ipfw rule for each ip address you want to monitor. By using
> > ipfw count rules, you can get a count of the number of packets and
> > number of bytes matching each rule, then you just need a script to
> > check this from time to time and record it.

Yeah, they're counted as the packets flow through the router, so as
long as the traffic goes into the machine, it will be counted. Note:
Make sure you specify only one direction for the count, else you'll
get double the expected number (ipfw is applied once when packets come
in, and again when they leave.)

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/ Finger for PGP
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a18>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N+@ o K- w O M+ V--