Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 18:06:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
Cc:        Mike <mike@mikesweb.com>, Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 cisco's and a fbsd box running bgp

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> Take a good strong look at the 3662.   Compare it with what the 7200 you
> will be buying will a) cost and b) do.   The performance difference in
> packets-per-second processing is not even an order of mangatude
> different.  If you get the 3662 now, you probably won't need the 7200

  Cisco 3660 - 120,000pps
  Cisco 7204VXR or 7206VXR with NPE300 - 300,000 pps

  Cisco seems to release a new NPE for the 7200 series ever year.  They've
recently released the NPE400 which can do 400,000pps, and take up to 512MB
of RAM.  Anyway, at minimum a 7200 is twice as fast pps wise.  Also, Cisco
isn't the only router vendor.

  Now, this isn't a Cisco list... so something about FreeBSD:

  I'm now sure what kind of pps rates a FreeBSD can handle.  I'm thinking
that fastest available hardware is a probably about 100,000 pps, but I
have no data.  Since FreeBSD has to put all packets through a software
path, and has noaccess to helpful hardware helpers (ie. checksumming).

  To put that into perspective, 100BaseT ethernet with 64 byte frames is
just a bit under 150,000 pps.  That isn't a real possbility in most
applications, but can be an issue if you are being DoSed, or run extreme
applications (ie.  UDP based chat server).