Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:10:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        David Miller <dmiller@sparks.net>
Cc:        Lauri Laupmaa <mauri@inspiral.net>, database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysql (smp) performance

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, David Miller wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Tom Samplonius wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Lauri Laupmaa wrote:

> > > It seems that on SMP mysql doesn't scale well. (currently testing on
> > > dual 833 PIII and running on couple older dual systems)
> >
> >   Because there is no such thing as SMP mysql.  It is a single process,
> > and can only run on a single processor at a time.
>
> My understanding is that it's single process but multithreaded.  When I
> asked a very similar question on a mysql list a year ago I was told that
> on linux it ran much better on multiple cpu's.

  You can however compile mysql with linuxthreads.  BTW, the linuxthreads
is a full FreeBSD port of the linuxthreads package, which provides
pseudo-process threads.  These threads are scheduled as processes and you
will see a performance improvement with SMP.  Linux threads are rather
heavy weight, so this solution has not been included as the standard
thread package.

  Standard FreeBSD theads are now (as 4.2-stable) solid and reliable.
Reliability has been inconsistant.  I have a 3.5-STABLE system using mysql
and the native threads on a 2 GB database.  No problems.  Standard FreeBSD
threads have less overhead that threads on Linux, or Linux-like threads on
FreeBSD.

> --- David

Tom