Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:11:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Mark Huizer <freebsd@dohd.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clustering FreeBSD

:PW>
:PW>I have a 15K rpm drive if you want to do a recalculation.  I think that
:PW>is 1.05Mach, depending on whether you rounded or not. ;-)
:
:Well, 7cm gives 21cm per rotation or 2.1km for 10000 rotations. 10000
:Rotations Per Minute give around 130km per hour which is somewhere around
:0.1MACH. So I expect not problems until the drives reach 50000 rpm :-)
:
:harti
:--
:harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private
:              brandt@fokus.gmd.de, harti@begemot.org, lhbrandt@mail.ru

    It doesn't really matter if the platter exceeds the speed of sound on its
    outer edge.  It isn't actually pushing any air so there will be no sonic
    boom or any other major issue to deal with.

						-Matt