Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:52:08 +0200
From:      "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        <kisanak@cbn.net.id>, <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: chflags

----- Original Message -----
From: <kisanak@cbn.net.id>
> [...]
> I just compiling my kernel and got this error while
> doint make install:
>
> server# make install
> chflags noschg /kernel
> chflags: /kernel: Operation not permitted
> *** Error code 1 (ignored)
> mv /kernel /kernel.old
> mv: rename /kernel to /kernel.old: Operation not permitted
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/SERVER.
>

> Any idea, why this is happens?
> I've check and find that my kern.securelevel is 1
>
> [...]

You need to (temporarily) set the securelevel to -1. Edit /etc/rc.conf,
and change the line kern_securelevel="1" to 'kern_securelevel="-1", then
reboot. After updating the kernel, change the setting back to 1, then
reboot again.

Greetings,

Michael Nottebrock

P.S.: Although this question is in the FAQ -
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#UNSETTING-SCHG and
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#SECURELEVEL, someone should really
bother to get this issue into the handbook, preferably into the
kernelconfig section.