Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:19:31 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/cam/scsi scsi_all.c

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 01:59:48PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
>=20
> But you did, in fact, change the default behaviour in that SCSI_DELAY=3D0
> had been an accepted config option before. I've restored the ability to
> do this. And I am in no way shooting myself in the foot- that claim on
> your part is unnecessary and misplaced. In a system with 144 PCI slots,
> e.g,, should we ever install FreeBSD on an alpha 8400 and fill it full
> of either Fibre Channel cards, or with SCSI cards that are connected to
> anything more modern than 1992 and more pricey than a UMASS device, I'd
> like to have it finish booting this year.
>=20
> I don't think it's particularly important to be able use the tunable to
> set back down to zero as long as those of us who need to make the
> behaviour more acceptable for high end system can do so.

When I looked at the code again, I realized there is one reason to want
to be able to set it to zero which is that the check is now applied to
boot time (in init_scsi_delay()) so is you set SCSI_DELAY=3D0 you get
SCSI_DELAY=3DSCSI_MIN_DELAY even if if you compile it in.  Given you
example above, maybe we should just remove the checks entierly since in
the current configuration you would have 14.4sec of delay (not hugh, but
perhaps undesirably large).

My comment about footshooting was refering to removing the attempt to
keep people from trying to set the value in seconds, not that you were
doing it to yourself.  I'm fully aware you know more about scsi them
I'm, ever likely to. :)

-- Brooks

--=20

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3