Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 01:00:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        nate@root.org
Cc:        peter@wemm.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src UPDATING

In message: <Pine.BSF.4.21.0210262335360.79399-100000@root.org>
            Nate Lawson <nate@root.org> writes:
: On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Peter Wemm wrote:
: > Warner Losh wrote:
: > > imp         2002/10/26 15:50:32 PDT
: > >
: > >   Modified files:
: > >     .                    UPDATING
: > >   Log:
: > >   Note: 5.0 requires more space.  If you don't have 30MB free on /, then
: > >   you are going to get hurt badly if you try to do an update from
: > >   sources.  Make a note of this.  While 'experts' could install it in
: > >   less space, I think 30MB is a good number.
: >
: > Heh, I rember installing with 20M for / and thinking that 32M *total* for
: > / was excessive.  My, how our libc.a has grown into a spaghetti monster.
: > And having 10,000 modules doesn't help either.
:
: What if the kernel config file didn't build/install modules that were
: statically compiled into the kernel?

For most people, they can do a single user install with a kernel that
was installed using 'make installkernel -DNO_MODULES' (assuming that
does what I think it will do).  You generally don't need modules to do
the install, which really cuts down the amount of space you'd need in
/ by 15M.  You'd need only 10M free to do the install if /tmp isn't on
a free partition, or about 5M if it isn't.

Warner