Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 17:23:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interface ideas for async locks?

> I've gotten started on making async fcntl locks possible, the trick is
> giving preference to async locks and having lock reservations put up
> by the process that 'unblocks' the async lock.
>
> Anyhow, the reason for this mail is to get an idea of what type of
> interface people would like for this feature.

I would like to see it mirror the opportunity locking interface
that SAMBA currently expects.  This is similar to the NFSv3
LEASE idea.

It is important to support opportunity locks; not for performance
reasons, but because SAMBA is effectively a user space hosted OS,
and this type of interface is necessary for supporting hosted OS
vs. hosting OS coherency.

In plain English, this means that SAMBA will respect locks held
by UNIX applications, and vice versa.

You might as well get SAMBA (and IRIX, and soon to be Linux)
compatability with this interface for free.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.