Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:21:54 -0500
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can TCP changes be put in RELENG_4?

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 11:05:15AM -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> This discussion about shipping mulitple kernels is getting silly, as
> nothing in this discussion has addressed why we need multiple kernels.  As
> of 4.4, nearly every important setting can be tuned through options in
> loader.conf; I updated the tuning manpage to recognize this a few weeks
> ago.  Give it a look over, I think most everything can be done with those
> settings.

I'm not stuck on the idea of doing it with a kernel, using loader.conf
is fine.  I do think there are a number of relatively statically
configured things (most of them dependant on maxusers by default)
that loader.conf probably can't change now.

Put generically, I want to see a way for users to have FreeBSD make
better use of their hardware with at-most them having to select a
single option of a menu of 4-5 choices.  The guy who just bought
a gig of ram because it came in a cracker jack box should be able
to click the 'use an obscene amount of memory to make everything
faster' button, without having to understand the 300+ things he
could tune in a kernel, or loader.conf, or whereever else you can
set things.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org