Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:33:30 +1100
From:      eirvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
To:        Darrern <darren@tzeench.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network lag

Hi Darrern,

questions@freebsd.org is probably more appropriate.

> even sat down for 6 hours on irc trying to solve it one on one.  I've
> replaced connectors, etc..  just to clear up my network setup here it is:
>
> Windows Me:-----UTP----:HUB:----BNC----:FreeBSD:----BNC----:Win98
>
> FreeBSD of course is my gateway.  my FreeBSD machine has 2 ethernet cards.
> one xl0 and one ed0.  or 3comm and lynksys.  3com is the outside world,
> lynksys is the internal lan.  my problem is that at times when there is
> absolutely no internal lan traffic I can't reach above 60kps between
> 192.168.1.1(bsd) and 192.168.1.5(win me).  I can't track the variable I
> need to fix.  I run natd, and routed(which hasn't helped fix the problem
> yet).  I have seen my internal net the way it is setup right now go as
> high as 800kps.  nothing is changed and I can't find the variable I need
> to fix,  anyone else experiencing this or have any idea how to fix it?

OK. The most common cause of problems like this is
incorrect duplexing. Unless all your hub is a switch,
you probably want half duplex.

So you want to make sure all the cards in
the internal network are set to half duplex.

I used to use a ms-dos utility for ed0 cards.

If you've already done this, what is your ftp speed
like?

Eddie.