Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:33:29 -0800
From:      Chris Sears <cbsears@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ecc kld for FreeBSD 4.2

--------------4F91238AF5DB039FD209D5D4

Chris

THANKS! and compliments on your name.  It was a quick and simple port
to see if people were interested. I've sent it to the author/maintainer
Dan Hollis but I haven't gotten a response yet.  He has an email list
on Yahoo/Groups and there is occasional traffic so it isn't dead code.

Yes, I did notice that there was no licensing.  I will broach that with him.
I can live with GPL since I see this as being a KLD which can be installed
from source.  But I prefer BSD.

DEV_MODULE vs DRIVER_MODULE.  It is true that DEV_MODULE is much less common
but it is minimally sufficient.  If it were a DRIVER_MODULE, then it would
just be allocating a bunch of structures and entry points and noop'ing
them out.  But perhaps someone else could lend an opinion.

Thanks for the 440BX patch, I'll add it.  As far as the ServerWorks III chipset,
the necessary documentation has *not* been available.  I think they are
a small company and a little paranoid WRT intellectual property.
If you have it, or if you can get it, this would be great.

Basically, I would like to break the file into Linux, BSD and ecc sections.
This would simplify things for the author who has expressed interest in
a kernel patch as well as a module.  The reason for kernel was that module
support can be config'd out on Linux.

I'm not sure how kld's are distributed as there don't seem to be any in
the ports collection.  And I wouldn't mind cleaning it up a bit.

Chris

BTW, attached is the Makefile I used.
--------------4F91238AF5DB039FD209D5D4

BINDIR	= /tmp
SRCS	= ecc.c device_if.h bus_if.h pci_if.h
KMOD	= ecc
NOMAN	= t
KLDMOD	= t

KLDLOAD		= /sbin/kldload