Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 01:27:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kern/30280: Fatal trap 12 in kldunload() on 4.4-RC (fwd)

Followup:

    I had linuxelf support compiled into my kernel.  Some port
(probably VMWare) attempted to kldload it anyway.  Although I got
error messages about linuxelf already being present, a half-finished
entry (visible with kldstat -v) was entered anyway.  Upon shutdown, an
attempt was made to unload this bogus linux module entry, and the
machine panicked.

    I verified that this was indeed what was causing my panic by
removing linuxelf support from my kernel config, so that it only
gets kldload'ed from now on.  No more panics.

    IMHO, this represents a bug in kldload.  It should not leave crap
in the kld area when it detects that the support that would be
added by a module is already present in the kernel.

    So, what should I do with this PR?

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)