Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 17:06:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Kuri <jaykuri@interaccess.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! My SCSI-2 CD rom is timing out

   I have made what may or may not be a worthwhile discovery in reference
to this drive.  It appears that if the CD-Rom is spun-up, it will mount
the drive without a hitch.  However,  if the drive is not spun up
already, it does not mount... instead the 'cdo(aic0:1:0): timed out'
message comes up.  This is not really consistant.. I don't know how to
force the drive to spin up.  But if I try to mount the cd and it times
out, many times if I re-issue the mount command as soon as I get the
prompt back, it will mount.  This is not by any means absolutely
consistant.  But it is the only way I can mount it at all.   Could it be
that the spin-up scsi command is not being sent? or perhaps that the
scsi-subsystem is not tolerant enough with timings to let the cd-rom spin
up before erroring?  Just fumbling along here and guessing,

Jay K.