Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 1996 11:12:15 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdisp@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        rdugaue@calweb.com (Robert Du Gaue)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to solve the news server problem

> > how about running the news on sgi challenge s?
> hehe. That cracks me up. We started our ISP with an SGI. Now it's called
> boatanchor.calweb.com for good reasons. It's NFS stuff does not get along
> with Freebsd and it barely handles the 64 businesses we have on it.

which model?

> > is there anyone familiar with the challenge s machines? the price doesnt
> > sound too bad, since it's only a little more than pro200, and has faster
> The last P6Pro/200 I got was about $3k. This was with 128megs ram, 2 gig

notice that i do live in finland, and even though that this is a firm that's
been selling pc hardware for years, and thus is getting the pc hardware
for isping relatively cheap, still pro200 with 128 ecc ram, 4 2gig uw seagates,
adaptec 3940, adequate cooling, no display/display adapter, dual smc ether
cards, would cost me around $8000

considering that i would get sgi without much ram and disks but would get
them myself, i would get it with less than $12000... (challenge s)

and as far as i know, anyone's free to correct, it's cpu _does_ outperform
atleast two pro200 machines...

> fast/wide, dual ethernet controller, etc.... The challenge S is
> considerably more then that, and make sure you get the correct software
> options. By the time you're done getting what you need you'll be way over
> $10k.

not that much over...

> > most _is_ the "slow" bus speed, coz you can drag only 132mbytes of stuff
> "slow"? The PCI bus speed is quite adequate. 132mbyte across a 10mb
> ethernet would be a neat trick. Our 10baseT backbone, with nearly 5000
> subscribers is only about 14% utilized during peak. The PCI buses or the
> ethernet backbone are not a bottleneck!

hmm... but how many servers you are running?

mickey