Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 08:44:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel terminal oddities

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Dave Babler wrote:
>
> > The problems are primarily (totally?) in how ttys are treated. From the
> > console, running cons25, the first indication is that when you log in,
> > your username is repeated:
> >
> > 	login: bozo
> > 	bozo		<-----
> > 	password:
> >
> > The next is that in applications such as pine and pico, NONE of the
> > control keys are recognized, including ^C, ^X and escape. Only ^Z and ^T
> > seem to be recognized, so the only way out is to ^Z and kill it. When
> > users telnet in, applications tell them they are "not using a terminal".
> >
> > I'm at a loss as to where to look next or what to try... anybody have any
> > ideas?
>
> Sounds like your terminal type is not being guessed correctly.  Try
> running 'tset' and report your terminal type as 'cons25'.  If that doesn't
> work then you may need to reinstall your termcap database.

Except that it works fine with the kernel that was compiled using,
essentially, the 2.1.5 sources from the CD-ROM and doesn't with the
-STABLE source tree as of a day or two ago. Same exact termcap.db, in fact
I have to purposely squirrel away a copy of my termcap because it gets
clobbered when I rebuild /usr/bin or wherever it lives (it has a required
custom terminal in it). tset is always set to 'cons25' for either kernel -
and the initial echo oddity is, of course, before any explicit tset
operation. I'll try poking around with termcap today, but I was
inadvertently using the rebuilt termcap when this problem first cropped
up.

-Dave