Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:59:00 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Scott Morris <smorri59@icubed.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sanity check needed

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Scott Morris wrote:
>
> > 	I'm pretty sure that i've seen Doug answer this but i'd appreciate
> > a sanity check before i burn down my system.
> > 	I need to move my fbsd disk from wd1 (secondary ide) to wd0 (primary
> > ide) due to some really bad planning on my part. If i recall correctly i can
> > edit the kernel line in MYKERNEL to reflect the new drive and then rebuild.
> > When the kernel install is complete then edit fstab and change wd1 references
> > to wd0. Reboot and pray.
>
> Something like that.  I actually copied the entire disk across, which is
> more of a feat than just swapping the disks.
>
> > 	This just seems too easy...i've got to be missing something?
>
> You might make sure that the wd0* files exist (MAKEDEV wd0), and rewire
> any non-fstab'd mounts, but otherwise it should work w/o a hitch.

Another option, that requires a change of a *single* character (O.K.,
actually two character): Comment out your old wd1 line in the kernel
config and change the 0 in the wd0 line to 1. This would leave the disk
named as wd1, eventhough it'll be the master disk. This has the
disadvantage of giving weird names to the disks (especially if you're
going to have another disk as the slave), but it works.

Nadav