Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 1997 22:47:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Density codes for Exabyte 8505XL

Thanks for the info.  The -B and -b options for dump are new to me and are
most interesting but not exactly what I was after.  An 8505XL can read and
write in four density modes: 2.6 GB, 5 GB, 7 GB, and 14 GB (all on a 112
meter tape).  I'd like to use the 14 GB mode.  One can use the mt command
to set the density mode but it's not clear what density code to use to get
this mode.  After having set the mode to 14 GB, though, the -B and -b dump
options (set to say, 450000 and 32 respectively) would be extremely useful
to allow dump to calculate how many tapes it will need and its progress
etc...   I assume you meant to say you use -B = 200000 not 2000000 in your
example below -- 200000 * 10K = ~2GB.

Thanks,

Tom