Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 23:22:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice for diagnosing X hangs / kernel hangs?

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Bryan K. Ogawa wrote:

> I'm looking for advice on how to diagnose the causes of hangs (no
> keyboard, no mouse, music which was playing stops, no disk activity) that
> happen to me occassionally under X.

Odd.

> Since it does not seem to be a kernel panic (/var/log/messages is silent
> when they happen) I am looking for ideas on how to diagnose this problem
> more fully.

I would suggest running a serial console to another computer or dumb
terminal via null modem cable and see if you can crash the system.  Any
panic output will appear there (when the panic happens it goes to the
console which you can't see because you're in X).

I would also check top or systat -pigs and make sure no process is going
bananas.