Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 09:37:59 +1000 (EST)
From:      Tony Jago <tony@fit.qut.edu.au>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Diskless Dispare - More details

> Exactly which files have permission problems?  Try creating a file (as
> root) on those filesystems and make sure that the new file is owned by
> root and not nobody.
>
> If I could see some kind of log of the system booting, I might be able to
> see more of what is happening.  Is that possible?

  When the system has booted correctly everything works just fine. If you
  create a file in / as root it is owned by root and root can change
  things like /etc/printcap etc etc.

  When the machine boots, if there are problems then typically when fails
  is "[" (ie. test) in the /etc/rc scripts.

  Alternatly, the system sometimes fails after it has mounted the new root
  file system (rw) under /mnt and then does a chroot. Sometimes the chroot
  binary is not available and the system fails to boot and the user is
  dumped into a root shell.

  Another point I forgot to mention that may have a bearing on things is
  that as additional hosts are added to the active client list, a line is
  added to /etc/exports and then kill -1 is sent to mountd on the server.
  This could be happening quite often if alot of clients are booting at
  once. I don't know if this could be a problem.

---
Tony Jago, System Administrator,    E-Mail: T.Jago@fit.qut.edu.au
Faculty of Information Technology,  Web: http://www.fit.qut.edu.au/staff/~tony
Queensland University of Technology.
Box 2434, Brisbane 4001, AUSTRALIA.              "We need more horsepower!"
Phone: +61 7 3864-2573 Fax: +61 7 3864-1959