Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 1996 21:20:01 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
Cc:        A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com.HeadCandy.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patch to recognize AMD 5x86 cpus

>On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, A JOSEPH KOSHY wrote:
>
>>Enclosed is a patch to recognize and print the kind of AMD 5x86 cpu
>>on-board at boot time.  This is per AMD's application note on CPU
>>recognition.
>
>Is anyone working on Cyrix-patches/changes ?
>
>I know they won't compile with I586_CPU in the kernel, because they don't
>implement the full Pentium instruction set.

I assume you mean with *only* I586_CPU in the kernel.

And, it shouldn't (at least for the AMD), because the AMD 5x86 is in
reality just a souped-up 486.

I haven't looked closely enough at the Cyrix 5x86 to see if it has any
programmable enhancements above a 486.  I know it's still for a 486
socket, and in spirit, it's more a 486 than a Pentium.

Furthermore, the Cyrix 6x86 is just a souped-up Pentium, in spite of
what their marketing department wants to call it.  If there is only an
I686_CPU target in the kernel, I would expect that not to run on a
Cyrix 6x86.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.