Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 1996 00:23:12 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patch to recognize AMD 5x86 cpus

>> Furthermore, the Cyrix 6x86 is just a souped-up Pentium, in spite of
>> what their marketing department wants to call it.  If there is only an
>> I686_CPU target in the kernel, I would expect that not to run on a
>> Cyrix 6x86.

>No, with only a I586_CPU target in the kernel, the machine won't boot -
>can't determine CPU type or something to that effect.

Then this is a "bug" (or more accurately, an unhandled case).  I
_WOULD_ expect it to run a Cyrix 6x86 with only I586_CPU, and to _NOT_
run with only I486_CPU.

As I stated above (and I think you also asserted), it also should
_NOT_ work with only I686_CPU, which at this point, would only cover
the "Pentium Pro".

I take it we're saying the same thing in different ways. :-)

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.