Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 14:29:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, alk@think.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

> On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
> > Sometimes you do not CARE when someone last read a file.  It costs lots and
> > lots of disk bandwidth to write that information back on a busy news server
> > where thousands of files are accessed during every 30 second interval.
> >
> > If you do not have to write that information, you now have more disk
> > bandwidth with which to READ more data, which is what you really wanna
> > do.
>
> Clayton O'Neill fixed Linux to not update ATIMEs for use on his newsserver
> and he did get some noticeable performance improvements.

Yes, I saw his message a week or two after I butchered it into FreeBSD ..
the comment was

:This is an implementation of an idea that I believe was originally
:mentioned on the FreeBSD hackers mailing list.

so I am suspecting that my work was the incentive for them to do this :-)

This is potentially a _great win_ for a reader machine with several
hundred active nnrp clients.

This is not (much of) a win for a feeds system.

> Nowhere near the
> improvements he got when he went RAID via DPT, but still, it was worth it.

I want a DPT driver for FreeBSD...  if I had money, I would PAY someone to
do it...  but I don't have money.  :-(

> I think he even had a mount time flag that would allow per fs ATIME
> updates.  (ie: mount -o noatime)

Yes, I did this too.

> I've not really looked at doing this yet but it didn't look very straight
> forward.

It's icky, at least the way I did it.  DG had also worked on this and
I'd really really like to see his work....

... JG