Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 20:00:18 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Wayne Baety <mrfoine@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.com, john@isi.com, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Quick (freebsd 2.2.1 / xf86 3.2 / flakey mouse) question

>>     I searched the freebsd and XF86 FAQ's but found nothing
>> corresponding the the problem I'm experiencing.  I have a
>> ps/2 mouse systems mouse that exhibits wierd behavior
>> under both fvwm and twm.
>
>I get this too but with a serial mouse.....the problem goes away whenever
>i unplug the floppy drive cable though...what gives?

I think you problem has different nature from the one john@isi.com is
experiencing. His mouse is a PS/2 mouse and yours is a serial one.
They are miles different in terms of interface and drivers.

I never heard that the floppy drive cable affects the mouse. Really
puzzling. Are you sure? And how did you find the cable is the possible
cause?

You see, the most likely cause of misbehavior of the _serial_ mouse is
usually mismatch of protocol. You specify the protocol in your
XF86Config for XF86 (the file is usually in /etc or
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11.)

If you are not using `moused', you directly specify the type and
protocol of your mouse in this file. If you have a Microsoft, or a
compatible mouse at COM1, you should have:

Protocol "microsoft"
Device   "/dev/cuaa0"

If you ARE using `moused', you always specify:

Protocol "mousesystems"
Device   "/dev/sysmouse"

regardless of the actual type of you mouse. And you specify the real
type and protocol of the mouse in /etc/sysconfig. Locate and edit the
following lines:

mousedtype=microsoft
mousedport=/dev/cuaa0

>EQ:
>NEC Floppy drive using an in board PCI floppy controller w/ a PCI to ISA
>Bridge (shows up on the probe list). As far as i know the board only uses
>IRQ 14 and 15 for the HD and the standard floppy irq.

The primary IDE uses IRQ 14, the secondary IDE uses IRQ 15 and the
floppy disk controller uses IRQ 6.

Kazu