Date:      22 Jul 1997 14:42:58 -0400
From:      Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>
To:        John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
Cc:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail and mail hub

John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net> writes:

> On Sun, 20 Jul 1997 dkelly@HiWAAY.net wrote:
  [ ... ]
> Yes, but it's far easier to send mail directly via Sendmail as you've been
> doing, but defining your email address to be whatever it would be if you
> were using hiwaay.net's SMTP server (e.g. dkelley@hiwaay.net)
> >
> > So I've started hacking on /etc/sendmail.cf just to see what kind of
> > trouble I can get into (I'm the only user of this system, so I can only
> > hurt myself, right?). This looked interesting in /etc/sendmail.cf:
> >
> > # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
> > DS
> >
> > So I changed it to:
> >
> > # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
> > #DS
> > DSmail.hiwaay.net
>
> That works too.
>

> > Elsewhere I did the same thing for:
> >
> > # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
> > DMmail.hiwaay.net
> >

> BAD!  Your ISP will shoot you.  You should not masquerade as another host
> without permission.

Why is this so evil? If I run a stand-alone machine connected only via
dynamic PPP, I want things like Sender: to look like a valid hostname,
which it won't unless I do some masquerading.  I know this isn't The
Right Thing To Do but this is a (IMO) reasonable response to the
plethora of broken software (both autoresponders and clients) out
there.  If my ISP didn't charge so much for a static IP address or to
host a domain name, I'd go with one of those (far superior) solutions.

-Jay