Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 08:55:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more smap/sendmail

On 16 January, 1998, at 12:42 (-0500)
Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net> wrote:

> If I telnet to one of these smap boxes and type EHLO it says
>
> 500 command not recognized
>
> Is the 500 part maybe what is messing up some of the sendmails?

No, sendmail should handle that.  It certainly generates `500' errors.
Connect to a sendmail box and type "ABCD" as the command; you should get

        500 Command unrecognized: "ABCD"

See RFC 821 for a list of SMTP (not ESMTP) numeric response codes.  `500'
simply means `Syntax error, command unrecognized'.

`smap' only speaks SMTP, not ESMTP.  (I just checked my copy of the 2.0
source.)

(FYI, for more information on ESMTP, see RFC 1651.)
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
At first sight, the idea of any rules or principles being superimposed on
the creative mind seems more likely to hinder than to help, but this is
quite untrue in practice.  Disciplined thinking focuses inspiration rather
than blinkers it.
        -- G. L. Glegg, The Design of Design