Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:49:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Stephen D. Spencer" <bsd-isp@artorius.sunflower.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inn-2.0

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Steve Hovey wrote:

> I noticed less cpu hit using CNFS - but I noted that the config defaults
> active to MMAP, and CNFS is all MMAP, and the whole things just sucked to
> impliment - I had to manually change config.data to not use MMAP, and had
> to go back to the trad file structure to get it to work.
> [...]

Curious.  After a short time of outsourcing usenet we are preparing to
bring our local newsfeed back online using FreeBSD 2.2.6 and INND 2.1.
(good-bye and good ridence to IRIX)

First, I'm curious about the above comment.  Perhaps I'm missing the point
of this statement, but isn't it logical that a system designed to
efficiently handle 750,000+ articles a day plus news readers going to
cause some sort of load?  Perhaps if you describe the hardware you're
using it would make more sense.

The real point of this message is concerning disk allocation for
meta/cycbuffs.  Understandably, using the traditional storage methods,
concatenating hard drive space made sense.  I'm curious as to what layout
designs other news administrators are choosing when using CNFS.  My first
thought was, of course, was to configure a ccd consisting of 5-6 9
gigabyte drives on three different SCSI channels to create a gargantuan
cycbuff on which to store the spool.  I have an additional three 4
gigabyte drives (all baracuda's but different models) that I was thinking
of using for system, history and over.view.

The expiration model for storage.api methods is based on the metacybuff
identifier so that would be a good indication that a single metacycbuff
(or, for that matter, small numbers of large cycbuffs) would actually give
less flexibility in managing which groups stay longer or shorter.  I
understand that if a cycbuff fills up that it will return to the top of
the file and keep writing thereby, in certain aspects, superseding the
expiration process.  We have also been given the ability, however, to
configure more than one cycbuff per metacycbuf which will then be written
to in a round-robin fashion.

Would it be better to keep smaller (well... 9 gig) cycbuffs tied to single
drive units and simply allow INN to do its pseudo-striping rather than
using ccd?  It would seem that it would allow for future reallocation of
space by, for example, removing a cycbuff from a metacycbuff for
(everything minus alt) to the alt hierarchy without having to remake the
file systems.  It would also give more flexibility to the expiration
process such as it is for this sort of storage method.

I anxiously await your comments.

Regards,
Stephen