Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 00:55:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      <jkoshy@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alex Dumas <dumas@pdx.or.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: man 7 man (or man(7))

> Have you or the other documentation folks considered including an
> optional, but encouraged "NOTES" section in man pages?

While the man(7) page does not mention this, the mdoc(7) page does say
that:

  ``
  .Sh Section Headers
      other	Customized headers may be added at the authors discretion.
  ''

Incidentally, a number of manual pages already have NOTES sections.

$ find /usr/share/man/man* -type f -print | xargs zgrep '^\.[Ss][Hh].*NOT' |\
  wc -l
      765

We might as well make ``.Sh NOTES'' part of the approved mandoc style.

Regards,
Koshy
<jkoshy@freebsd.org>