Date:      Sat, 03 Jan 1998 17:18:33 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
Cc:        Stefan Bethke <Stefan.Bethke@Hanse.DE>, FREEBSD-HACKERS <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Creating bootable Syjet install disk

>     The Makefile seems to have some floppy-specific lines in it,
> although if the bootable CD-ROM is made from the same image, why won't
> it work on other types of devices?  I mean, if you were to take the
> boot.flp kernel file and copy it to your hard drive, would you expect
> to be able to boot off of it?

You would indeed.  I just tried it. :-)

If sysinstall ever evolves into something more general, I could even
see some value to copying a /kernel.mfs into the new rootfs on
installation.  Then if you wanted to repair something later and your
root fs was still kosher enough to boot the /kernel.mfs, you could do
that instead of messing with a boot floppy.

Sysinstall is so close to being an effective repair tool *without* the
fixit.flp that it's always struck me as a shame that we didn't put in
the remaining work to make it so.  Then we could eliminate the
fixit.flp image entirely and just have the option of booting either
the standard boot floppy or CD #1 as the "standard first-aid kit", the
2nd live filesystem CD providing a more complete kit for the serious
trauma cases.  Most people probably haven't even noticed that then 2nd
CD is bootable in 2.2.5 - you can just boot off of it and go straight
into the Fixit menu without swapping anything now.

					Jordan