Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:54:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSDOS filesystems being corrupted?

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

> > Recently (past few months, unable to be more specific, sorry) I've noticed my
> > msdos partitions being declared "damaged" by Nortun Utilities under win95
> > after I've been writing to them under freebsd (specifically, disk doctor will
> > find lost clusters and "repair" them by removing the file.) All I usually need
> > to do is create a few (large? The last one which got reaped was about 40MB)
> > files on the DOS partition - I don't notice any problems accessing them under
> > bsd.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this behaviour?
> >
> I have seen this behavior, but only on floppies, that's wierd about your
> norton, Scandisk doesn't give me any problems on my msdos partition, but I
> don't put large files there. I mostly just read from that disk.

After a recent botch with partition magic I was able to recover 1.5MB of
files, reformat the partition and replace them.  Other than some serious
fragmentation as far as I know nothing was lost, actually I think the
performance improved :)

I believe this was after a Dec22 build.

Could it be something in NU.

--