Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 1997 13:40:18 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
Cc:        Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape Communicator 4.02b7

> On Sun, 31 Aug 1997, Peter Korsten wrote:
>
> > 'Top' shows that Netscape takes some 13 Mb Mb memory (YIKES!).
>
> That's not counting the 9 MB taken up by its "DNS helper".

Communicator forks to create the DNS helper process (a great idea,
IMHO), so all you're seeing there is a second copy of the text; it's
shared with the original copy, so it's not actually using any more
memory.

TBH, I'm surprised at the bitching; comparing the FreeBSD communicator
with the same version running under W95 on the same machine the FreeBSD
version is substantially more responsive.  I had various people at the
party I was at last night make the same observation - general feeling
was that it was a Very Good Thing Indeed.

13MB is *nothing* either; on a decent display (eg. 24bpp), it's not
uncomon for Netscape and the X server combined to top 60MB.  This
sounds pretty disgusting, but bottom line is that this is about what it
takes.  If you don't like the squeeze, use a less heavy browser; there's
plenty of choice in the market.

mike