Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 13:13:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Andy Kohtz <andrew@kohtz.com>
To:        Chris <chris@exit109.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: usernames longer than 8 characters

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Chris wrote:

> Andy-
>
> It looks like, on a FreeBSD 3.1-Release box, you can create usernames as
> long as 16 characters... :)
>
> This is such a joy for me, since we had to hack around 2.2.5 source to
> allow 11 characters :/ what a bitch.. :)

Chris, and everyone,

	The box will in fact be a 3.1-Release system.  I remember hearing
about so many of the nightmares that people had to use the hacks to
make it allow longer than 8 characters on 2.2.x systems.  I didn't even
think to look if 3.1 had solved the problem altogether.  I guess it just
gives me another reason that my favorite OS just got better.  :-)

	Thank you for your responses.

	- Andrew Kohtz
	  - akohtz@amug.org
	  - andrew@kohtz.com