Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 13:07:14 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Craig Johnston <caj@lfn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root's shell

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 03:00:53PM -0500, Craig Johnston wrote:

> Root's shell is csh.   This is a bug.

You have strange notions of "bug".

> Is there any reason for this besides tradition?  Why even bother
> with csh anymore?  If we're gonna give root a shell with job control,
> why not ksh, or anything but csh?

You get sh and csh in the base system.  You don't get ksh.  The
default, therefore, will be sh or csh.  I guess it's BSD tradition
to prefer csh and family for interactive shells, so it's csh instead
of sh.

I happen to change it to sh, myself.

> Isn't it time for csh to go?

Why should it?  You can change it to whatever the hell you want to.
Or you can leave it alone, and use "su -m" and get whatever fancy
shell you like, be it bash, tcsh, ksh, or zsh.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Science rules.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *