Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 21:45:48 -0400
From:      James Kalmadge <kalmadg@banet.net>
To:        Jerry Raynor <jerryr@ComCAT.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CGI file handling missing package?

Jerry Raynor wrote:

> I have 2 servers which APPEARS to be identical running FreeBSD 2.2.5-R,
> Apache 1.2.4, p5-CGI-2.76 and perl-5.00401 .
>
> I have a web form that calls a cgi program and takes submmitted
> information and appends/creates a file.  I created the program on the
> first machine and have since put the second machine together dedicated to
> running this program and copied the program over.  It does everything but
> write to the file.
>
> I don't think this has anything to do with FreeBSD but I'm grasping for
> straws!  I've gonna over it a 100 times, checked permissions 200 times, I
> had the program looked at in perl groups and it seems to be fine.  Is
> there a package which could be missing?  I'm hopeing for a FreeBSD/CGI
> guru!

Jerry,

This sort of thing usually turns out to be permissions.
I know you checked them.  To Rule them out change
the script to create the file in /tmp.  If that works, it's likely
permissions.  So what owner is running the  perl script?
Is the file system local or  remote mounted?  Can the script
append to the file if you first create it with 'touch'.

If it doesn't create a file in /tmp the script is failling. Try dumping
stderr to a file in /tmp.  And look for clues.

Without any other info.,  That's all I can suggest.

Luck,

James