Date:      01 Apr 2000 13:38:20 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Corrected versio-n of my 2 to questions to mtools.

Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de> writes:

> 1) What is the way to give an user unconstraint access to floopy disk
>    by means of mtools(what I as user(it is home/situated my own machine,so
>    I am not not vigilant about users doing nasty thing)got so far was:
>
>    /dev/rfd0 : Permission denied
>    Cannot initialize 'A'
>
>    Exactly as it stands here.
>
>    So as I asume it is about forbidden acces to raw floppy just to start
>    with :)

Quite right.  My usual solution is
chmod g+w /dev/rfd0
and make sure that user is in the group that owns the device (which is
'operator' by default, but you could make a group specifically for the
floppy if you wanted).

I handle this by making an entry in /dev/MAKEDEV.local which sets up
all the relevant permissions and ownerships.  That helps me get it
right every time I rebuild the devices.

> 2) Because I already got one answer from Mr. Georgios Keramidis
>    it what be apropiate to move the discussion little bit.
>
>    Essentialy , what was suggested is: Mount floppy disk
>    with msdos filesytem on it.
>
>   a) Rather nice idea,btw.In connection with this :
>    What rights should I give to users for enabling
>    use of mount of floppy disk by them also(Obvious
>    write permissions to /mnt/floppy directory.
>    What else?)

They would also need the permissions to the block device, and you
would have to set the vfs.usermount sysctl to 1.  This is a less
secure solution than mtools, and for MS-DOS users (and typical uses of
DOS floppies), it's less convenient.

>   b) I guess it could be the place where it is advisible to
>      use amd(automounter) to spare typing of mount command
>      every time and delegating the whole work of recognizing,
>      initalizing to it(it as automounter).Is it to naive or
>      could really be used in practice? If so would you point
>      me to some tutorial where  I could get aquinted with
>      operations and care and feeding of automounter?

I haven't used amd myself, but lots of people have used it for this
sort of thing.  It has a man page which seems to explain how to use
it.  [type "man 8 amd" and "man 5 amd.conf"]

Good luck.