Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 23:26:08 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Nguyen-Tuong Long Le <le@cs.unc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Change limit of datasize

In the last episode (May 28), Nguyen-Tuong Long Le said:
> I inherited a perl script from my senior grad student that can sort
> some input data. When the input file is very large, perl prints an
> error message "Out of memory!" and core dumps.
>
> I guess that this is related to the datasize limit and tried to
> increase it using "unlimit datasize" but this doesn't seem to work. I
> have FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE and perl 5. I use csh.

"unlimit datasize" will raise your limit to whatever hard limit your
sysadmin has set.  "limits -B" will display the current and max values
for each resource (it'll print *-max and *-cur if they are different,
otherwise it'll just print one line).  There is also a systemwide hard
limit, which defaults to 512MB, but you can raise it by editing
/boot/loader.conf, setting "kern.maxdsiz=###" (in bytes, so 1gb =
1073741824), and rebooting.

Simple sorting shouldn't take even 512MB of ram, though.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com