Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:59:28 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pci device driver writing newbie

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:08:31PM -0400, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
> get my module (which right now does mostly nothing except probing and
> attaching) to detect the ACPI function of this chip, but right now pciconf
> -l shows it as "chip0". I found the devid in
> /usr/src/sys/pci/pcisupport.c, (0x30571106) and commented that case out,
> recompiled my kernel, and rebooted, but no luck, it still detects as
> chip0. What can I do to keep this from happening. This is the only way I

  The first thing that comes to mind is that you will probably find
using a KLD much easier during development for this sort of thing.
There is some basic information in the Developer's Handbook about this
but it is incomplete :

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/

  Can you print the return value of pci_get_vendor() in your probe()
function to verify that you are getting the same listing that pciconf
-l reports?  Remember that if pciconf -l returns something like
chip=0x2a601093 then 1093 is the vendor ID and 2a60 is the device ID.

    - Murray