Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:37:43 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        Matthew King <revghost8@dingoblue.net.au>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports

Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com> types:
> At Fri, 6 Apr 2001 it looks like Mike Meyer composed:
> mwm->After you've installed the cvsup-bin port, add the following to
> mwm->/etc/make.conf:
> mwm->
> mwm->SUP_UPDATE=     yes
> mwm->SUPHOST=        cvsup5.FreeBSD.org
> mwm->SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
> mwm->SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2 -P -
> mwm->PORTSSUPFILE=   /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
> mwm->
> mwm->changing the SUPHOST as appropriate. Then cd /usr/ports, and do "make
> mwm->udpate".
> mwm->
>
> ......... I finally have to ask this. As one who was completely
> happy with package management using /usr/ports, I see I'm going to
> have to switch over to the cvs*. Is this covered well in the
> handbook or is there any other sources of docs ?

Um - the two are unrelated. Package management with /usr/ports works
just like it always has, and should continue to do so. What I've
described is a way to update /usr/ports, not the packages you've
installed. Updating packages once you've updated ports is changing a
lot these days. Then again, it used to be a major PITA , and still
isn't as easy as it should be, so this is a good thing.

> I know change is good but I still have drill bits that are 20 years
> old and they work great, just keep them sharpened. ;>

Change for the sake of change isn't good - unless you're using it to
get people to buy upgrades they don't need :-). Improvements are
good. You don't have to take advantage of those if you don't want to,
just like you don't have to go out and buy the latest-n-greatest drill
bits if you don't want to.

	<mike