Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:49:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        sylvia@infolytica.qc.ca (Fei)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

> Hi,
> 	I want to have mkmf to work on my PC(running Windows NT), but I
> don't really want to install the whole FreeBSD OS. Is it
> possible to download only the mkmf port and compile on my PC, and get it
> to work?

It might be possible, but in FreeBSD a ``port'' consists of shell
scripts, patch files and make files to make building and installating
as easy as possible for *BSD platforms. It does not include the
original source.  So its not a good idea to use a port to install
some freeware on Windows NT. It might be easier to use the original
tarball as a starting point. The URL for this is

ftp://ftp.uni-koeln.de/util/mkmf.tar.gz

(found in the makefile of the port.
> 	I cannot find the bsd.ports.mk file anywhere. On the Web Page, you
> said that it is in /usr/share/mk, but the /share directory does not exist.
> Would you please help me out? Thanks!

The bsd.ports.mk won't help you much either, they are really meant
for *BSD. The location in the web page refers to an installed
FreeBSD system, not to the ftp subtree.

Hope this helps paving your way to FreeBSD :-)

Wolfgang