Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:37:49 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        un_x <un_x@anchorage.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: manpages

> > When you format a manpage for the first time, is there an error
> > issued? Unfortunately, some machines are so damn quick it is
> > difficult to even see the message, let alone read it! :-)
>
> yes - zcat "not in gzip format" - and that all.
> additionally, mc (Midnight Commander) can read all my
> manpages just fine.

.. which means that man is working. Actually, this is similar to
something I see here, but only occasionally. I can get a manpage
from tkman, but somtimes not in an xterm. I haven't seen it in
quite a while though and even when it occurs it is invariable a
manpage from /usr/local/man/... and not from /usr/share/man.

Perhaps this is obscurely shell related? Are you using tcsh?
If so, try bash/sh, and see if the same thing happens.

> > This sounds like a resource problem, though. What is your
> > MAX_CHILD setting?  It's just that when fooling around with
>
> the default w/2.2.1.

Should be fine.

> ulimit = unlimited ...

Well, that's probably not it, then. :)

> > Regards,
>
> any relation to Ted? :)

Sure. That's my father's name (seriously!). How did you know? :-)

Regards,
David

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/