Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 00:07:12 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Steve Reid <sreid@alpha.sea-to-sky.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: calcru: negative time

At 12:04 AM 8/4/98 -0700, Steve Reid wrote:
>I've seen this happen during boot (after device probe, before syslogd
>starts), but usually it takes a few hours before I start to see it. Once
>it starts it usually gets progressively worse until I reboot.

ditto. right now i only get one per daily security check. before reboot i
got 6 or so.

>Since my post about the message, I have noticed a problem.. When the
>message is appearing, some processes don't get all of the CPU available
>to them. Beforelight (screensaver, comes with XF86) runs sluggishly, and
>raplayer (3.0 for FreeBSD, dynamicly linked) plays with somewhat broken
>sound. This is with a load average well below 1, and it doesn't happen
>when the message isn't appearing.

I notice occasional sluggishness in DNS (this machine is my DNS server). I
used to run rc5des but stopped it, thinking that was the cause of the
sluggishness (it might have been partly responsible anyways. but that's
another topic).

Any of the developers know why this would happen? Is this only happening in
486-class CPUs? Something change between 2.2.5 and 2.2.6/2.2.7 to make this
happen?

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org