Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:59:35 -0500
From:      Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
To:        "Robert G. Brown" <rgb@phy.duke.edu>
Cc:        felix <felix@halef.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>, Thomas Brezing <tb@roesle.arbach.de>, AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 7890/aic7xxx 5.1.0pre5 part. success

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Doug, I got the aicasm code and have more or less followed
> instructions in the README to build aic7xxx.list.  Pardon my
> ignorance, but what am I to do with it now?  I've compared it line by
> line to my last copy of Justin's aic7xxx.seq (mentally translating the
> conditionals) and there are obvious differences.  I'm comparing it to
> the aic7xxx/aic7xxx.seq in 5.1.0pre5, but the aic7xxx.list I've got
> seems to have two tabs preceding each line and garbage in front of a
> lot of the assembler -- makes it hard to just do a diff.

Sorry, should have explained that better.  Yes, there is garbage in front of
a lot of lines.  Specifically, the fist number is a hex line number and the
second number is the actual 32 bit instruction in hex form.  So, once you've
entered all of the info for a particular card, then what the list should
show you is exactly which instructions are going to be downloaded to that
card, in what order, what each instruction's line number or address is, and
what the actual byte code for that instruction should be.  The only possible
exception to this is that the list file may have instructions where the
address portion of the byte code has not been patched up to account for
instructions that have been skipped.

> Also, I don't quite know what to do about the questions concerning
> flags in the make list process.  I have both a 7860 and a 7890
> onboard, and I would have expected the aic7xxx.seq to not depend on
> the particular hardware in place.  Any direction you can give me will
> be very helpful.

No, the sequencer file very specifically depends on the hardware in place.
In general, if you have two different classes of controller in a machine,
then you need to run the make list command once for each controller and
print out the list in between runs.  This gives you a listing for what would
be downloaded to the individual controllers.  The questions then about the
flags in the make list process correspond to whatever the p->flags variable
for the card in question gets set to in the kernel source code.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford@dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but