Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:34:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        <joeo@cracktown.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: figuring out were an spl lock isn't being freed

:I'm playing with a third party kernel module under 4.0.
:
:Occasionally the box locks up during extended access to the device it
:supports, though the box will respond to pings and other hardware driven
:interupts, but will not let loggins happen, and open telnet sessions from
:remote hosts freeze.  I'm guessing an spltty isn't being freed.  What's
:the best way to go about figuring out what function isn't freeing the lock
:or returning?
:
:Thanks for any help,
:
:Joe Orthoefer

    Enable DDB in the kernel config and when the machine locks up, assuming
    you aren't running X on the console (or if you are that you can
    ctl-alt-F? to get back to the a character screen), type ctl-alt-esc
    to get the DDB prompt.  Then do a 'ps' to see what things are hanging
    on.

    It probably isn't an spl*() issue.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon